Monday was the first official "the parks are now loaded with kids of all ages because it is Summer vs. kids my kids ages because they are not in school yet." I have realized I am not fond of kids older than my kids because they teach my young'uns stuff I am not ready for them to learn yet.
I am not a "hover mother" or "helicopter mom" as the saying goes - I want my kids to be "free range" which I believe builds self confidence and independence - but Monday at New Park (still my favorite park...but maybe just off season...) some older boys were playing with Emma and I heard one say to the other, "Hey, that was my weiner!" as if one kid had accidentally elbowed the other in his privates. Emma was all, "What's a weiner?" and I cringed as the conversation developed. Luckily, she is still too happy go lucky young to understand the boy's silliness and she quickly changed the conversation to, "Hey, I am a princess in a tower. Who wants to rescue me? Or, wait! (pause for dramatic effect) Are you a bad witch?" The boys replied with, "No! I am not a witch, but a warlock..." blah blah blah and the subject was diverted, but you feel my pain, no?
No comments:
Post a Comment