Ben usually naps right after lunch, so being the diligent dad I am (read: I do what mommy says) he went right in. No sooner had I pushed the button on the white noise machine than our power went out.
I have to say I'm proud that I didn't panic. At first. Ben could care less that there wasn't any of his usual nap accoutrements. Emma however wanted to do EVERYTHING THAT ELECTRICITY COULD PROVIDE. Make popcorn, watch TV, turn lights on, fan on, look at pictures on the computer, and TV.
After an hour diagramming to Emma how a circuit works, and why we were hosed for a bit, she relented and we built a fort. 3 hours later she was playing happily with benny in the gloom of the stormy darkness. We went to the store to buy candles, batteries, and a lighter; passing a police officer who gave us the scoop - downed tree on a line.
After getting home and settling in, I raced to scratch up dinner while light was still around. We ended up with both kids in their high chairs facing the living room window eating tofu, couscous, bananas, carrots, and Hummus. I guess having all my cooking apparati (sp?) taken away forced me to give the kids a healthy meal.
The candles TOTALLY relaxed the kids. Emma just sat and watched the flicker of the flame and the shadows on the wall.

Needless to say, they both fell asleep after reading a few books before 7. I'm gonna petition for going off the grid.
Power came on at 715. WOOHOO INTERNET!!!
Scratch the whole Amish thing.
21st century digital Daddy.
No comments:
Post a Comment