Last night the gal I was hoping to have babysit for us ending up going to Boston, so at the last minute I found myself on a desperate search for a sitter. My friend and neighbor (Henry's mommy) offered to come hang out with them as her husband was going to be home and could hang with Henry and the baby. Phew! I gave her the 5 minute quickie bedtime lowdown and made my great escape returning 3 hours later to a cleaned-up living room and sleeping children. Nice! (Thanks, Kim!!) The best part about it was she put Ben to bed without his binky - she simply forgot - and he went to sleep without a fuss. Imagine that. That kid has been playing me for that dumb binky all along. Daddy and I decided that Ben's binky days are over! Of course, he then woke up hysterical at 11pm as he now has the poops (I think he caught what Emma had...) and needed a diaper change. He would not settle back down until I gave him the binky - argh! But I did not take it with us for our morning out and about and I put him down for his nap after lunch without it and he fell asleep. So I will now place it behind a little glass window that says, "For Emergency Use Only" and see what happens.
Emma had her preschool one hour "Meet the Teacher" yesterday morning with all the other kids in her class. Parents were asked to stay for the hour and siblings were welcome. Emma was an absolute champ sharing toys, listening quietly during story time, and waiting patiently in line when it was time to pick a prize. Ben wreaked havoc with the crayons, water table, sand table, and was an all around 19 month old boy who made Mrs. C (Emma's teacher) remark that he reminded her of her own son at that age. He even blew out his diaper toward the end and stunk up the classroom. Good work, Benny!

Sadly though, Emma's magical classroom behavior does not translate to our home. She is beyond "parent deaf" and battles most things we try to do with and for her. She was a bit of a beast with Henry this morning not sharing the "sidewalk" in front of our building (she was riding her scooter and Henry was on his bike). She claimed that the bricks in front of our door were hers and Henry could not ride on them. No matter how much we reminded her that sharing was awesome, she cried and whined and fussed, so I made her go inside. Then she screamed bloody murder that she wanted to play outside with Henry. Oi yoi yoi.
One of the phrases that she used during this indoor fight was, "No, Mommy. I'm done! Done! Done! Done!" which is what I have said to her when I am too exhausted from struggling with her behavior and simply give up and walk away. Cheeky little parrot remembers everything!
No comments:
Post a Comment