Saturday, August 14, 2010

Infant cpr? Nope, not necessary.

Today brought some of the funnier / obsessive Emma-isms ever...

Aunt Lisa, Cousin Leah, Emma and I went to a baby shower today. All week long we have been talking up this "baby shower" to Emma who was very excited to be accompanying us "big girls." Upon arrival, we scoped out all the gifts, the dessert table, the buffet and the "dancing floor" (an open space where Emma decided she would boogie to the elevator music that was being piped throughout the venue). About 5 minutes into the event, Emma said, "Where's the baby shower?" "Right here, " I answered, "We are at the baby shower." She looked around slightly confused, "No, Mom, where is the BABY SHOWER?" My adorable 3 year old was seriously looking for a baby being cleaned by a gush of water being sprayed from a shower head. I LOVE THIS KID!

After the baby shower, we stopped by the local grocery warehouse, Sam's Club, to grab some meat in BULK for Cousin Frank's 10th birthday party tomorrow. Emma was riding in her usual spot in the double seater cart when she glanced at the empty seat next to her and said, "Where's Benny?" - knowing very well that Ben was having boy time with Daddy back at Gramma's house. I replied in jest, "Benny is right here, don't you see him?" and I pretended to give the empty space a giant kiss. Well Emma didn't like that at all and said, "Mom, NOOOOO, Ben is not here." I, being the good parent I am, said, "Yes, he is. Hi, Benny, I love you!! Let me give you a giant hug." I then hugged the empty space next to her. She was greatly offended by this LIE until she realized I was teasing, then finally found it in herself to give pretend Benny some pretend hugs and pretend kisses. Phew! I thought she was going to ask the chicken nugget sample girl to have me committed...

Fast forward one hour - we are now all together swimming in Grandpa's in ground pool surrounded by a 3 foot concrete border path that Ben LOVES to run around no matter how much we council his 19 month oldness. At one point, he is standing near the corner of the deep end which he often does but NEVER makes any effort to go into the water until - WHAM - "Hahaha I lulled you into complacency!" and he crouched down and backed slowly into the 8 foot water. 12 year old Cousin Leah swam like a lifeguard champion to his rescue while I sprinted down the sidelines and Daddy was frozen stuck afraid to leave the 3 year old in the shallow end freaking out about her brother falling into the pool. We pulled Ben out of the pool only to find A GRIN FROM EAR TO EAR AT THE ADVENTURE. No sputtering from taking water into his lungs. No crying from the scare of falling into the water. Just a super happy boy who has PERFECT water instincts - Thank you, God.

(DADDY INSERT) all of this happened at a very leisurely pace, but in hindsight it seemed to go a thousand miles per hour. Leah was absolutely anticipating Ben jumping in and swam like flipper to the corner where he was looking to dunk. And yes, HE ABSOLUTELY ENJOYED EVERY SECOND OF THE EPISODE...

(P.S. Not 5 minutes later he tripped on the concrete and skinned his knee and cried like a mad man. I just don't get it!!!)

Then, just to prove my daughter is more obsessive than me... Tonight as I was putting her to bed, she asked, "What old is Frankie?" - meaning 'How old is Frankie?' I said, "Frankie is going to be 10 years old!" "Just like Diesel!!!" she replied. (HUH?) "What old is Benny?" 'Benny is 1 year old." "Just like Thomas!!" She went through her list of best pals - Evie, Porter, Lawrence, Henry, Sadie, Elle, Skylar, and Leah - comparing each person's age with the corresponding number painted on the side of Thomas the Tank Engine friend's sides - eerily accurate.

I am not sure what is wackier, the fact that she got them all correct or the fact that I KNEW THAT SHE got them correct. (Help meeeeeeeeeeeee!)

No comments:

Post a Comment