Monday, August 16, 2010

Nursery school vs Nursary school

Tonight from 7:30 to 8:45pm I sat in Emma's soon to be preschool classroom on tiny little toddler chairs at tiny little toddler tables and listened as Emma's very first teacher talked about what we should expect from the school year.

Most of it made me laugh... Are we that easy going? Wait, are we TOO easy going? So many of the other parents had questions and concerns about important this and that and safety and locks on doors and peanut allergies and fish allergies and the only question I could come up with was, "Do you have scheduled potty breaks or will the child simply have to tell you she has to go?" - because if you know my daughter, she LOVES TO LIVE LIFE IN THE MOMENT and if you don't remind her every 90 minutes or so to use the restroom there will be accidents...

I have no doubt Emma will thrive at preschool. I am concerned about one thing. Batter. The kid's last name is Batter. As in A B C - she gets to be first in line for everything because alphabetically she reigns supreme, Batter. If you know Emma at all, she does have a slight ego. This alphabetical domination just may cause problems. Also, there is one other Emma in the class. Get this. Emma Cross. As in A B C - my Emma gets to go first. (Is it weird that I am sort of rooting for my Emma and her alphabetical supremacy?)

Lastly before I go night night. Most of you reading this (translated to: all of you reading this except for possibly Henry's Mommy) are not living on Long Island and just may get a chuckle from this. Tonight, while sitting on my tiny toddler chair surrounded by about 25 other parents, was the first time I was overwhelmed by the accent. You know, THE accent. The LON GUYLAND accent. Everyone had it. I was odd man out! Does that mean I am the one with the accent???

Also, I had to write out three checks tonight. First month's tuition, last month's tuition, and field trip fee - each time I spelled nursery WRONG. I prefer it with an "a" - apparently. Maybe I am the one who needs to go back to school.

No comments:

Post a Comment