Poor Ben. He just may be in therapy by age 2. Yesterday I picked him up and strapped him into his car seat. He wiggled a bit and smiled that big toothless grin that I love. I leaned in and gave him a big kiss on the cheeks and said, "Good doggy." Then tonight we had a lovely family bbq out on our deck. After dinner, Brian was holding Ben but needed to hand him off to me so he could help Emma do something and he said to me, "Here, take this."
Emzilla and I had a girls afternoon out this afternoon at a 2 year old buddy's birthday party and daddy and Ben stayed at home and bonded doing typical guy stuff - you know, napping and farting and stuff... The birthday party was Nemo-themed which is always a crowd pleaser with the 24 month old jet set crowd. There was a Nemo pinata hanging in a tree - Emma spotted it immediately. She kept jumping trying to touch it but it was about 7 feet up. "Emma no reach! Emma no reach!" She would walk away, play a bit then come right back to the spot and jump again trying to grab it. "Emma no reach!" She must have tried 20 times. The girl is persistant!
Later the toddlers were playing with water balloons - there were 3 boys and Emma. The boys had no problem throwing the ballons and breaking them. Emma was being all gentle holding the balloon ever so lovingly. When it finally did break she was a bit upset, "Mama, Emma break it!" It's okay, baby girl. It's a water balloon, you are supposed to break it. "Mama. Break it. Balloon! Breaked it!"
Finally the time came to bust down the pinata. I have to tell you, I spend my days saying, Emma, please don't hit Ben. Then we go to a party and I'm all, "Emma, go ahead, beat the crap out of a beloved fish..." I might as well have given her a gun and told her to shoot Elmo! The boys had no problem whacking poor Nemo with a wiffle bat - but Emma took one swing, barely touched the fish, and decided she was done. Ha! When he finally busted open (the mama of the birthday boy had to finish Nemo off!) and the candy came pouring out, the other kids jumped on Nemo and wildly started stuffing candy into their "loot" bags. Emma was just kinda hanging out on the sidelines. Finally after a bit of encouragement she picked up a tootsie roll pop and stuck it in her mouth. She pulled it out immediately and handed it to me, "Here, Mommy, Emma no like it." She has never had a lollipop before and didn't know to remove the paper! Some would say I am depriving my kid of childhood pleasures. I say I just never thought to give her a lollipop before and hey - maybe just maybe, I am saving the gal from a future of rotten teeth!
No comments:
Post a Comment