At least 3 days a week I come home to eat lunch, spend some quality time with the kids, and give Brenda a break from, well, mommying. This has to be one of the best perks of the work I do since I'm able to play with Emma while she's bright-eyed and while I still have my wits about me.
Emma's sense of independence is growing as fast as her vocabulary, giving her the stones to say NO, slap hands, and basically be a belligerent 2 year old. She's thankfully judicious with her tantrums, but the independent streak is definitely growing its roots.
Case in point: 2pm, Wed. I pop by for lunch and some QT with the kids. Emma's playing with her tea set, while mommy and I work on a project. Emma wanders down the hall towards the bedrooms, and then strangely the house goes quiet......Curious, I go searching for the one woman wrecking crew. In the bathroom unraveling the TP? Nope. In our bedroom trying on all of our shoes? Nope Nope. Well then she surely must be in her bedroom pulling the clothes out of the drawers, right? Not quite. Concerned, I ask Brenda, "Where's Emma?" She of course assumes that Emma is in plain sight and that we're playing a game and responds in singsong voice "I don't know? Where is Emma?". Now a twinge of panic sets in. I mean, I know she has hidden stuff all over the house, but she hasn't yet figured out how to hide herself. On purpose at least. Needless to say, I call out for Emma and a voice comes through the ether like Carol-Ann's through the TV in Poltergeist saying, "open door, open door!" In the closet, standing straight up with her face in a box of diapers, zero room to maneuver, is Emma all proud that she closed the door all on her own.
One day in not so distant future, when she's out with friends, I'll wish she was just locked in a closet and still wearing diapers.
Daddy
Nice post!
ReplyDelete