Monday, December 16, 2013

Rut-roh

We love Sundays - Family day! We woke up and played away as usual. At about 4:30, our normally happy go lucky Ben had a weird look in his eye. It was almost instantaneous - he went from sweet fun guy to sicky go licky in the flip of a switch. He snuggled into the crook of my arm and I could feel him burning up. I tried to get him to take some ibuprofen - nope - little turkey refuses medicine!

He did not eat dinner, drank some milk and went to bed. He woke up at 3am delirious, still refused to take medicine. I pulled him into bed with us. It was like that song my sister and I used to sing with our parents when we were kids, "...and they all rolled over and one fell out, there were two in the bed and the little one said..."

Benny crawled in and Daddy crawled out and was banished to the (comfy) couch. Ben and I tossed and turned the rest of the evening which is why we looked like this in the doctor's office the next morning:
We need sleep!
The doc checked his ears and throat - not red. She chose to swab him for strep as Em had it three weeks ago; she also swabbed him for the flu (a quickie boogie swipe in each nostril) AND HE LET HER. The verdict? Yes on the strep - and his throat wasn't even red! And positive on the flu. She asked if he had gotten a flu shot - NOPE! She confided she didn't personally believe in them either (ha!). We left the doctor and headed to Walmart with his strep prescription in hand. The poor little man was a total zombie - except when we passed by DUNKIN DONUTS, "Mom, did you forget to stop for donuts?" Hahahahaha! (A freakin' DD opened up about a block from the dr office. We may or may not have stopped there both times Em was at the dr last month... IT'S NOT MY FAULT!) Seriously though, talk about Pavlov's dog - Ben totally expected DD even in his "walker" state. We got home, he drank the amoxicillian without a fight AND chewed some ibuprofen - that is how sick he must have felt - he actually took the medicine!!! And then did this on and off all afternoon:
Come snuggle me, mama.
At one point he woke up and ASKED FOR A DONUT. I apologized and told him DD was closed (liar!). He suggested we MAKE our own donuts. I asked him how I should do that? He said, "Take a bagel and put chocolate on it and sprinkles." I gotta tell you, in all of my 42 1/2 years I NEVER THOUGHT TO DO THIS (and I LOVE donuts, people!!!). So what did I do? I grabbed a bagel. I melted some of my Trader Joe's dark chocolate. Smeared it on the bagel, and sprinkled some of our Christmas cookie decoration sprinkles on top. He ate the whole thing. I am possibly up for Mother of the Year. Yep and Yep. Thank you and good night. (Oh, wait, poor Emsadoodle came home from school complaining her leg muscles hurt. She didn't eat much dinner and passed out on the couch at 7:30... Say it ain't so!!! Daddy and I spent the night with our hands wrapped around cleaning spray and paper towels and Lysol...)
We shall forever and ever call this recipe THE BEN.

2 comments:

  1. His donut is classic! Im sure that will become family lore. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm only as happy as my sickest Batter neighbor. I'm so sorry. I hope Em is okay and you and Brian stear clear. Let me know if you need me to make a donut run for you!! I'm on call 24/7.

    ReplyDelete