Daddy and I went in for Ben's parent teacher conference on Monday before the holiday week started. His teacher, Mrs Giglio, is super sweet and she went on and on about how smart he is. They expect preK kids to finish the year recognizing only upper case letters and the numbers 1-10. She showed us how he knows all the letters - upper and lower - and could find 1 through 20 on the page. He knows all his shapes, could identify patterns, could follow two step directions, etc etc. We already knew all this from his recent evaluations, but it was nice to see his teacher is very aware of where he is at academically. She also said he was improving in developing his social skills - meaning trying to make conversation with his classmates vs hanging out on the periphery. She asked if we had heard anything regarding the scheduling of the meeting with us, her, the outside evaluation team and the school's special services department. I told her I would follow up with them, which I did and our big meeting to decide his fate is Dec 18th.
Now, that makes me laugh a bit - decide his fate - Ben will be fine no matter what "the committee" decides. The kid is an absolute stud! But basically his teacher said during our conference that he would be so much better off in the classroom if he had his own one on one adult to work with him. What I take from this is simple, if the class of 16 kids can have 3 adults vs 2 adults, everyone wins as there is more hands on instruction to go around. I will push for that - I may even call the outside evaluation folks and tell them just that so they can do what they need to do to get the school on board.
No comments:
Post a Comment