It's amazing what a good sleep will do for you and how a bad one will weigh you down - that is unless you are 5 and have a double ear infection.
Em had THE WORST night's sleep ever last night. She was tossing and moaning and screaming and kicking every 5 minutes. She had broken another fever at that point and simply could not get comfortable in her bed. The coughing from her post nasal drip didn't help much as well. Remembering how miserable I was back in may on my birthday when I had that hideous sinus infection and could only sleep sitting up, I coaxed her out of bed and to the couch. I told her if she tried to sleep sitting up it may help the cough go away. It was about 1:30 am at this point.
I got her cozy on the couch and she begged me to stay with her - good thing we have a super comfy sectional! I grabbed my pillow and a blankie and snuggle in. It took about 20 minutes or so for her coughing to settle down, then she was complaining that her shoulders and chest hurt. That concerned me until she said they were throwing these really heavy balls in gym class and she was sure that it was just her muscles that were soar. Ha!
She finally passed out hard at about 3. Ben woke up at 5:50 and wanted to play in the living room. I dragged him to his room, which he did not like on bit, but I didn't want him waking her! She woke up about 30 minutes later because he was still having a fit about being trapped in his bedroom with me and wandered in to see what the fuss was all about. She was wide eyed and bushy tailed and excited about what she should wear to school today!
What the heck??? Mommy, on the otherhand, was cranky and snippy with the kids and when Daddy came in the room I begged him to just take the kids into the living room and let me get 20 minutes of uninterrupted sleep. Smart Daddy knows when Mommy is about to lose it and rounded up the kids and closed the door behind him. I crashed on Ben's bed until my alarm went off at 7:45, tossed myself in the shower and put my brave face on.
I do not do well when I only get spurts of sleep. Thankfully these occurrences are few and far in between - but they are surely reminders that I am 41 (42?) and not 5 anymore. (How old am I? I seriously can't remember. Born in 71, so 81, 91, 01, 11, +1 = 41! Heck, I'm only 41, not 42. What am I complaining about...)
Em fell right asleep after stories tonight. And yes, I gave her a small swig of Nyquil. It says to check with your doctor for kids ages 4-12. Ben has been carrying around the doctor's kit all day since our visit to the pediatrician yesterday. So I asked Dr. Ben if I should give her cough medicine and he said yes. He then asked for some for himself because his "tummy hurt". No, I did not give it to him! (They took out the sleep aide from it years ago so what's the point... hahahaha!)
It is 8:29pm. I should go to bed. "Go to bed! Y'all from Shreveport?" (Name that movie! Winner gets... a good night's sleep blessing!! Woot!)
No comments:
Post a Comment