Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Day 2, the Kindergarten Experiment

Before I jump into today's events I must recall the most important aspect of yesterday that I forgot to write about. Em got home around 4:00. We played outside til 4:30 or so then went up to the Penthouse. She asked to watch a little TV,  I said yes. She flipped on the TV and Wordgirl was on. She was very CONFUSED.

"Mom, why is Wordgirl on already?"
"Because it is 4:30, kiddo."
"But I just got home from school." (Meaning: last year when I got home from school - preK half day - I had the whole afternoon to play before Wordgirl came on.) (Oh, and just to be clear, Wordgirl = Mommy is making dinner.)
"Yes, that's right." (Meaning: I wonder where this is going??)
"But who am I going to play with before dinner?" (Meaning: last year we had playdates almost every afternoon!)
"There isn't time to play with friends, bugs. Mommy is making dinner."
"But, but, but, WHY DOES SCHOOL TAKE SO LONG???" (Don't be fooled, she LOVES school. She simply has no concept of time! And, being little Miss Social, is missing her playdates. But I reminded her how much fun she was having in school and that seemed to satisfy her...)

DAY 2

Em had a hard time going to sleep last night. She finally passed out after threats of taking all her toys away if she got out of bed AGAIN, but was awoken early this morning at 6:20 by a Benny who used to quietly open and close their bedroom door so as not to disturb her, but now is like, wait a minute, if I make a lot of noise my sister will wake up and hang out with me! (Me thinks he misses having her around...)

Thankfully she wasn't cranky about being woken early, she was happy to get the day going knowing she was headed to school. The bus is supposed to pick her up at 8:45. We know the first week will be off a bit as the drivers get used to their routes, so we headed out early to the bus stop - 8:35, only to find the bus waiting for her! The driver said he was late to school yesterday so he was bumping up his route by 5 minutes. Tomorrow, we will be ready at 8:30 and see what happens!

That being said, this afternoon when I went to collect her from the stop at 3:48 ( I was there at 3:40), the bus did not show until 4:05! What is going on?? The driver explained he is not comfortable dropping her off on the opposite side of the street where she has to cross the street in front of the bus, so he reversed the route so she can get off the bus on our driveway's side of the street. In doing that, she gets dropped off 13 minutes later! I asked Em if that was okay with her knowing I could very easily pick her up from school - it is 5 minutes from my house vs a 25 minute bus ride - and she replied, "Mom, I love the bus! There is a 7 year old girl who is smaller than me and has an adult sitting with her so she doesn't fall. She's really nice!" I'm not sure if she was talking about the special needs girl or the adult, but she seems to enjoy riding the bus, so for now, so be it!

Ben had a morning playdate with his old pal Christian and his new pal Sammy. I was concerned the old pals would ignore the new guy, but Ben was a stud and included Sammy in all the fun. Go Ben!

Ben starts preschool tomorrow. It's just a one hour intro session called "Meet the Teachers" and the parents stay, so it should be a breeze. Not that I doubt Ben whatsoever. This kid loves me like no other, I know that, but he has no problem whatsoever telling me to "go to the office" and leave him to play with someone other than me!

No comments:

Post a Comment