Wednesday, March 24, 2010

My purple pansy

We have had tons of fun in the past 36 hours. But, wow, tons of fun equals one tired Mommy!

We had an impromptu pizza party playdate last night with Emma and Ben's friends - oh, yeah, Mommy's friends, too! It helps that so many of them live here in the compound. I hit up Trader Joe's and got a few frozen pizza pies and some salad fixings and we had us a good 'ole time. It was supposed to be a play on the playground then come up and eat date, but they are putting in a kinder surface around the play area so we just came to the condo and played away here. My personal chef - i.e. Daddy - was home for the night, so I didn't even have to cook the pizza! The best playdate ever! The funniest part was at 7:00pm, Emma was D, O, N, E, DONE and she let everyone know exactly this by announcing, "Everybody has to go home now, Mommy."

Then this morning while Emma was still asleep, her buddies Porter and Lawrence stopped by for a quickie play session. Emma can be a bit of a grumpicus when she wakes up, so I had Porter have the honors knowing she would be very happy to see him, which she was - she got a huge kick out of the fact that they were there so early in the morning. When they left a little over an hour later she was so sad because she wanted to ride in their new car with them (continue to play) but she kept saying, "Mommy, I want to ride in Porter and Lawrence car." I don't blame her, really. I kind of have new car envy... I know I shouldn't covet my friend's minivan - but it is so big! and roomy! and I could actually fit my whole family in it with the dogs and the stroller! And when Gramma Lou came to visit we wouldn't have to take two cars out to dinner... But alas, I will simply save my pennies knowing that I will have one soon enough - and by soon enough I mean by Fall. I will. You'll see.

I gave Benny his first "official" haircut the other day. His bangs were getting crazy long and his sides were growing out over his ears all crazy like. So I popped on the Wonderpets after his bath and spiked his hair up into a mohawk and chopped into it like I see my hair dresser do to mine. The result? It actually looks pretty good! Who knew? Here is proof (and yes, he is chewing on the pointy end of a comb, and yes, that is perfectly safe. You want make something of it?) :



Finally for today, I truly realized I gotz me a SoCal city kid that needs to be rescued. Emma is turning into THAT KID who is afraid of everything. I grew up in the country, played my days away in the woods building forts out of trees that had tumbled over from the storms. Emma is still afraid of bugs - though thank goodness she is not bursting into tears at the sight of them. Now she simply demands I get it out of her sight. Today we dropped by the mall play area and she was having a blast until the EASTER BUNNY wandered in and she froze. All the other kids were loving on him and getting their pictures taken. Emma ran over to me all shy like and said, "Mommy, let's go. We gotta go to the new house. I don't like the Easter Bunny." So we hightailed it out of there after I spent 5 minutes trying to convince her he was a pretty cool dude who even brings CHOCOLATE. Didn't work. After we got home, we were doing laps of the compound to waste energy and time before dinner and she saw a squirrel who wasn't the least bit interested in running away from her. He was actually so tame he was within a foot of her sniffing for cheerios and she pulled the whole FREEZE, then SHY, then "I wanna go to the new house." I am going to have to leave her with Aunt Lisa and her cousins on their 220 acres to toughen her up a bit before we moved to NY!

No comments:

Post a Comment