We made it to FL in one piece. What I thought was supposed to be a 5 1/2 hour flight was only 4 1/2 hours - I am glad I mistook on the long side not the short side - it was a pleasant surprise!
We were up at 5am, out the door by 6:30 and to the airport by 7:15. We curbside checked our bag and headed in to the ticket counter to see if we could get a guest pass for Daddy to walk us through security and to the gate. The first ticketing agent couldn't help us as we were not elderly or special needs, but he referred us to the supervisor who may be able to help. We waited in another line for the sup - and gladly so, she must have had kids because she didn't even hesitate to print us out a guest pass. Phew!
And PHEW indeed because when we got to security we unpacked all the liquids, the computer, the car seat, etc., I took Ben and Daddy walked through with Emma. Then we put it all back together. I am sure I could have done it myself, but it would have been painful and long and tears would have been shed - probably by me!
We got to the gate and I went to grab some breakfast while Daddy hung out with the kids. We had just enough time to scarf down some breakfast sandwiches and do a diaper patrol so everyone had clean butts to start our journey. Daddy was with us right up to the ticket check, then we said our bye byes, my heart cracked just a little and off we went down the ramp.
As we got to the plane door, the flight attendant told me I would be better off popping Emma out of the carseat and carrying it to our seats. I figured she had more experience and I listened to her... although I don't know why. The Sit n Stroll was made specifically for the purpose of flying! She said she would help with Ben so I handed him over expecting her to follow me back to row 32. Nope. Lost my son for a good 10 minutes while I got Emma all settled in. Then I asked another flight attendant if she could figure out what happened to my son who was supposed to be right behind me... She made her way all salmon-like to the front and five minutes later I saw Ben's smiling face coming down the aisle. Kid was flirting with every single passenger as he passed by! The flight attendant told me the other gal was telling all the passengers boarding the plane that it was 'bring your kid to work day' as she greated them. CREEPY MUCH?
The flight itself was pretty uneventful. Emma was kicking the seat in front of her at first, which was annoying the passenger, so I had to occupy her immediately so she would settle down. We watched a bit of Oswald on dvd, we colored, we played Memory, we read books, we killed a lot of time with a page of Elmo stickers - best invention ever! I had to change 2 poopy diapers (ben) and one pee diaper (emma). We were blessed with a 16 year old girl in the 3rd seat who loved babies. She was a huge help with Ben - often holding him while I was trying to get a new activity for Emma. Ben must have eaten 6 times on the flight and Emma hardly had a thing - go figure.
On the exit from the plane, I left Emma in the stroller seat and slowly made my way off the plane and through the airport to baggage claim ro retrieve our bags. Abuelita was waiting for us at the baggage area and took over stroller skills giving me a break.
It is now 11pm EST and Ben just fell asleep. Emma is wide awake... We are laying in bed watching a dvd. I am hoping she will fall asleep, but I think she is going to outlast me. We are sharing a double bed tonight. What are the chances I get sleep? Let the wiggle worm games begin!
No comments:
Post a Comment