Thursday, April 23, 2009

...but I did not shoot the Deputy.

Let's get one thing straight. I am the boss.

Lately it seems there is a new Sheriff in town. Madame Sheriff has herself a sidekick most would call the Deputy - I call him Ben. Madame Sheriff - or Emma for short - has been ruling the roost as of late.

Now, don't get me wrong - I still call the shots (I am the boss!), but it seems our time is dictated by her 'schedule.' What time did she wake up? When will I have to give her lunch? How much more time before her nap? Will she wake up cranky and want dinner immediately? Do we have time for a bath or just a quickie shower before bed...?

Today this new Sheriff attempted a mutiny - and I didn't like it, didn't like it at all. You see, I value a nap. Naps are important - they rejuvenate the mind and body, they make a certain Sheriff less cranky in the evening, they give the Supreme Ruler time to wash the dishes... Today Emma went down for a nap at 3:00pm. By 4:20 she was still jibber jabberin' away in bed, she finally knocked out around 4:30 and slept until I woke her up at 5:30 because I was afraid she would never go to bed... Then she was Les Miserable all evening and didn't fall asleep until 9pm - exhausting me and weirding out the Deputy.

Now, I know what you are thinking. Maybe she has outgrown naps. NO! TODDLERS NEED NAPS. (Remember, the dang dishes need to get washed!) But what seems to have happened is the days pass so quickly and she is so full of energy that she doesn't get put in for a nap until later and later each day. Sooooooooo, tomorrow I will be disciplined and put her in for a nap right after lunch. If she sleeps - great! If she doesn't... I will try again and again until I have her back on her old schedule.

She is a quarter Latin, by the way. Those crazy Latin folk take siestas every afternoon after lunch. I say, respect your roots!

No comments:

Post a Comment