"Good morning, Marissa
I would be remiss if I didn't share with you the experience I had with Emma this morning.
We had some extra time before the bus so we snuggled on the couch to read the library book she brought home yesterday, "Therapy Dogs". I had every intention to read it to her, but she started in first and I let her go with it.
Marissa, EMMA CAN READ! (I'm all Helen Keller emotional here...) Of course I know she knows sight words and we read the "easy" readers that you send home and that we have in the house, but "Therapy dogs" is NOT an easy reader! There are words like "nursing homes, hospitals, elderly, adults..." in this book and she was able to confidently sound them out and comprehend the story. Brian and I were looking at each other overwhelmed with emotions - is she really reading this? A Kindergartener? We were so proud! And grateful.
Grateful to you for all you do! Grateful to everyone at the school for making her day fun and fostering her love of learning (to steal a line from our beloved PBSkids).
Keep up the extraordinary work!
With the greatest of appreciation and the warmest regards, Brenda"
She replied with this goodness:
"Thank you for this email. You always make me feel so blessed to have such supportive parents!
Emma is, indeed, reading. She is taking home a G reader as we press
forward with her fluency, comprehension and word base! Keep in mind
that we want K students to try to be on a D level when the leave
kindergarten. So, imagine, Emma is on G and we have three months to go!
In addition, her writing follows suit! Today she wrote
independently, "Today is the first day of spring." Just great work! I
am so proud of her. She is just the whole package - smart, beautiful,
fun and loving, loving, loving! You should be proud beyond her reading
abilities, too. Is there a line or two from PBS Kids for all of that?!
:)
Have a wonderful day!"
That's all I have to say for today. We do love us this school district almost as much as we love our children!
That is just so awesome. Emma truly is the package girl. I teared up reading it too. I think it sealed the deal that I want Henry with that teacher next year.
ReplyDeleteLove,
Proud neighbor mom.