Monday, March 4, 2013

Da Bulls

Every once in a while (usually when she is very tired), Em tells me about something that is happening in school that sends her over a cliff in tears. There is a classmate who was also in her class last year that has this weird "hold" on Em. (I don't know how else to describe it.) They are friends, they have playdates, her Mommy and I have coffee while the kids are in school about once a month. I love the mom, I'm just not so sure about her kid anymore...

Today Em told me this girl was teasing her and calling her "naughty" and the girl also told another of our good pals that she shouldn't play with Em. It has happened before - one time in particular after soccer she was hanging out with this girl and the girl told her she was bad at soccer because she missed a few passes... Blah blah blah - the stuff kids say. It's not horrible - but it is enough to make Emma sad. I try to encourage her and praise her and recognize her achievements and the size of her heart, but I am honestly at a loss about what to do. Do I say something to the Mom? Teacher? The girl? Do I just encourage Em to stand up for herself if she gets 'bullied' again? Do I send Ben in with some kung fu?

It's Kindergarten, people! Why can't we all just get along...?

No comments:

Post a Comment