Sunday, June 13, 2010

33 hours and counting.

Daddy left PA on Friday morning and headed to Long Island to secure our housing. He signed the papers, got the keys and headed to our new place. I was apprehensive all morning as we never actually saw this apartment - just one like it in the complex - so I wasn't quite sure what we were getting. I am pleased to announce new carpets throughout, new kitchen cabinets and appliances, and a nice bathroom. Phew! I asked him if the closet space was as nonexistent as I remembered it and he replied, "Yep!" Ugh. I need to make new friends with houses and basements fast so I can store a few boxes there!!

I believe I have mentioned my criteria for renting a place for this next year - I want to be able to plug in the vacuum cleaner into an outlet and then be able to sweep the entire place without moving the plug. I think we have achieved this! My family was teasing me yesterday that we are simply renting a "walk-in closet" in Port Jeff. I laughed but agreed knowing it was exactly what I wanted minus the closet space. (The reasoning behind wanting a small space is less time cleaning a house and more time out and about meeting people and building our business!)

My car finally arrived via giant transport carrier on Friday. $850 later and I was driving through the countryside back to Mom's house. It honestly felt so weird to be driving MY car in PA as whenever I visited I always borrowed a car from someone. Our house goods are somewhere just west of the Mississippi. I don't have any idea when they will arrive but the good news is they are on a truck heading east! Gramma Lou is helping us get the kids and dogs to NY tomorrow after she gets off work - hopefully that will make us miss NYC rush hour traffic and we should be arriving to our neck of the woods on LI by 9:00pm. Fingers crossed!

We have been enjoying hanging out with my family here in PA the past two weeks filling the days with swimming, outdoor explorations and FOOD. I have probably gained 10 pounds from the drive across our fast food nation to PA and from enjoying meals with family here. I am excited to explore Port Jefferson ON FOOT this summer and wear off these new lbs and then some. I can usually joke and say chasing after children has helped me shed some weight, cousins Frankie and Leah have been such a giant help keeping the toddlers entertained that I have actually gotten to relax here and there. Thanks, cousins!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment