Saturday, November 23, 2013

OT evaluation

Ben had his final evaluation on Friday morning - occupational therapy - you know, fine motor skills and sensory fun.

Guess what? Aced it. He blew her away with his scissor skills and his threading skills and drawing ability and writing his name, etc etc etc. She said he is doing things normal almost 5 year olds struggle with (rainbow loom - weaving - 3 dimensional building). She was absolutely unconcerned with the sensory stuff - the only thing she found was his lack of diet, but since it doesn't seem to be a texture thing, she isn't bothered with his picky eating.

I am beyond fascinated as to the agencies final report to the school. What is this kid doing in school that is so opposite to what he shows us in the home?

Case in point: Wed Ben's class had their Thanksgiving Feast to which the parents were invited. When we arrived, all the kids were adorable in their pilgrim hats - Ben was actually wearing one!!! AND, he was wearing his heavy woolly coat. What the heck? It was 80 degrees in the room and the kid was wearing his Winter coat. Daddy went up to him and said, hey bud, let's take your coat off and Ben did. WHY COULDN'T THE TEACHER DO THAT? What am I missing? I am sure they encouraged him to take it off and he said no. But at what point is someone the adult in the situation and says, Dude, take off your coat or you go to the principal or something of that nature.

That is a silly example, but as kids, if we fooled around or acted out we went to the principle who had a big fat wooden paddle he wasn't afraid to use. Do I want someone whacking my kid? No. But there needs to be a fear of "being sent to the principle" in addition to stickers for "random acts of kindness" (which I adore, by the way...).

Ben doesn't want to do what he doesn't want to do. I appreciate that and even encourage it in certain circumstances. But I also remind him that in certain situations he needs to be part of the "team" and do what the team does...

Such a fine line, this parenting thing.

On another topic, Em is the first to fall as the germ season is upon us. Strep throat it is - 10 days on amoxicillan - fun! What is crazy is the wicked rash that has decided to accompany it. I've never seen anything like it - head to toe - the girl looks like her skin is some crazy lizard skin. It's not just patches here and there - I'm talking about every bit of her is covered. And boy is it itchy! Benedryl and lots of warm baths. Poor kid. At least the antibiotic kicked in and she is feeling good minus the itching.

1 comment:

  1. yes very tricky this parenting thing. and you and hubs look great in the picture from above. we have had that rash thing too its very bizarre. warning ours peeled off eventually which was odd too. ivy looked like she was shedding. good luck with the school, be the mama bear! Go Girl!

    ReplyDelete