Friday, December 7, 2012

Ear Week at preschool and in the home.

Ben's preschool learned all about "ears" this week. Ben took the lesson to the next level...

Ben and I were out the door early enough to hit the bank, Walmart, and BJs before his 11:30 "library school." When we pulled into the bank parking lot he announced, "Mom, my ear hurts."

Hmmmmmm.

We took care of our bank chore, me observing his behavior a little more closely. He was still as playful as ever, didn't feel warm, but was *slightly* whiny. We hopped in the car for 3 minutes for our drive to Walmart. I kept glancing at him in the rear view mirror and I could tell his ear was definitely bothering him. By the time we left Walmart he was whinier even after running into a good pal of his. I needed a BJs quick run for fresh goods and couldn't really skip it (besides it shares a parking lot w Walmart) so I figured I'd see how he does there and then make a decision about a doctor visit...

While waiting in line at BJs he wanted he to hold him and snuggle him - not his usual m.o. when we are out and about. Something was definitely up.

I called the pediatrician from the car but she couldn't see him until 4:30 (it was 11:30). So, I made the decision to take him to Stat Health which is one of those urgent care places. Now let me tell you about Stat Health. I have lived here on the island for 2 1/2 years now and still haven't chosen a G.P. because I love this clinic so much! You walk in without an appointment, sign in and wait your turn. I've been there on crazy busy days and still only waited 45 min max. A Doctor you have never met before comes in and checks you out, diagnoses you and sends you on your way with what you need. It's that simple.

Ben was not at all thrilled about the prospect of seeing the doctor - but the kid was a champion when the dude walked in the door and let the doc check out his nooks and crannies. His ear was indeed red, but the doctor thought it may be viral as he is getting over a cold. He prescribed Motrin for pain and gave me a script, but told me not to fill it until Sunday just in case it cleared itself on it's own.

In and out in 20 minutes.

I do love our pediatrician when it comes to well visits, but when it comes to sick kids (and parents) I demand immediate gratification and this health care center gives it to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment