Tuesday, January 3, 2012

SPEAK to me

Ben only has 6 sessions left before his "Speech Therapy Prescription" expires. We probably could have renewed and milked the State for another 5 months, but honestly a) the State is broke and that is dishonest, and b) the little stud is a jibber jabber jaw now. Today we met his therapist, Kathy, at the library. When Ben saw her across the way, he yelled, "Kathy!!" and ran to give her a giant big hug. I know how much he adores her and he is really going to miss her. I will miss her, too, she has showed (reminded?) me lots of great ideas for helping him along - things I already knew and did with Emma that somehow got lost in my tired 40 year old brain somewhere. What I won't miss is my OCD need to have my house CLEAN before she arrives twice a week. That will actually give me more time to focus on Benny one on one while big sister is in school instead of flipping on Sesame Street while I scrub the toilet. Oi!

Today at the library five minutes into the session, Kathy suggested Ben try a certain activity. Ben wasn't interested in the activity and said, "Nope. Bye, Kathy. Go home now!" We convinced him to stay for a bit and play. He discovered the shelves of holiday dvd animations and removed them one by one talking about each of the covers. At one point Kathy reached over to look at one of the DVDs and Ben said sharply, "No, Kathy, no! Don't touch it! It's Ben's!" Kathy got a kick out of that and replied, "Ben, I will only obey because you are talking so good these days." Bossy little magoo...

Our arts and crafts afternoons continue. Today we made princess crowns complete with 'jewels' and cupcake wrappers. One of these days I'll remember to take a picture of the crafts and post them for you all to admire. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment