So I finally got to conference with Ben's teacher and the school psychologist. As I was waiting in the office to meet them I couldn't get over how nervous I was. What was I so anxious about? After the meeting I called Daddy and he asked, "How'd it go?" I basically said this, "It turns out I may just be a giant jump to conclusions a**hole." Daddy was like, "Ohhhhkaaaay? Wanna talk about it?"
So here is how the meeting shook down. I went in there thinking they were going to tell me he was a real problem in the class, not following directions, having no focus - a real distraction to the kids...
It turns out that his teacher wanted to meet because she absolutely adores him (how did I doubt that anyone could NOT adore this quirky kid???) and it breaks her heart when she sees him struggling in class. She went on to explain that at this age kids should be playing "with" each other not just "side by side". Ben is still in side by side mode and she could tell he really wanted to play "with" the other kids, he just wasn't sure how to do that. She has been sitting with him at play time and encouraging him to ask a new kid every day questions to get to know them. "What's your favorite food?" "Do you like to play any sports?" etc. The past two days he has been coming home asking for play dates with his new best friend (whoever she worked with him to talk to that day) and it is super sweet. You can tell how excited he is after school now.
She also said he has trouble with transitioning from one activity to the next. When she asks the class to stop what they are doing and clean up or get ready to do something else and he doesn't want to, he makes all kinds of crazy noises (He has been doing that for months now at home - a cacophony from sun up to sun down). She feels the noises come from an anxiety based place - meaning they soothe him when he is being asked to do something he doesn't necessarily want to do. She has been working on transitions with him by making up a specific picture calendar of activities that they do and going through it with him daily. What's funny is, yesterday morning he said to me, "Okay, mom, first we are are going to play with the lady bug game, then we are going to go outside, then we will eat lunch, then we will get in the car and drive to school." Now I understand where the agenda making came from!
So basically it was a real positive meeting. They gave me some ideas to work on at home and a list of specifically how she is working with him in the classroom. It turns out preK teachers in this district truly are a blessing, they don't just play around - she is really working hard to get Ben off on a positive note and loving school. She said he is incredibly bright and tries so hard to listen now that we / they have been encouraging him to follow directions (vs make up your own way) and I am excited to see how he grows in this environment. Feel free to remind me once in a while to stop jumping to conclusions - I guess that is just the mama bear in me... :) As he walked into school yesterday he announced full voice to all the parents, "I hope I follow directions today!" Everyone burst out laughing. Giggle.
We had a busy weekend. Two birthday parties and go cart riding galore. Emma and Daddy dressed up Dodo:
 |
| Look at that mushy face. Could he be any grumpier? |
Party number one:
 |
| I think she likes cake... |
Whoever anonymously sent us these flashlights from Amazon - they are awesome and we use them nightly - Thank you!!
 |
| Still on the original batteries, too! |
Birthday party #2: Emma is the pink blur in the rope tunnel up top. I remember having to crawl into that thing 3 years ago and rescue her. All the parents and I were remarking that we have finally passed the rescue phase at these kinds of parks. Our kids are all big enough and brave enough to do the scary stuff on their own!
 |
| Brave girl chasing her friend, Nathaniel. |
Take my picture, Mom!
 |
| Yes, dear. |
Ben on the peddle go karts at the Lainie's Way demo afternoon while Em was at party #2.
 |
| a Sunday stroll. |
I introduced her to needle point. She totally got it (I was surprised). I still have to guide her and remind her top to bottom, then bottom to top. She only has the focus for a few minutes at a time though.
 |
| Can I use my nose freckles as a guide? |
Lastly, what's a blog reading without another Ben building? He was using Emma's Math flashcards to make this one.
 |
| Cheese! |
No comments:
Post a Comment