Saturday, July 23, 2011

Tropical heat wave

So the other day I was in the car all by myself driving to the store (whoopee!). About 10 minutes into the drive I realized that I had been rocking out singing full voice to Elmo and friends. I promptly hit the radio button and found a good Pink song to recover with.

Ben has been extraordinarily clingy to Mama the past few days. We have had some solo time together and had tons of fun - I wonder if he is now at the age that he is recognizing that not having big sister around hogging up the attention means he gets the attention, and now when she is around, he simply smothers me wanting that attention for himself. (Does that make sense?) He is uber loving wanting to constantly crawl up into my lap and hug and snuggle and lay kisses on me. I gotta say, I am not complaining one bit! Soon enough the day will come when I am the last person he wants to be near! The funny part is when he is in trouble for doing something he knows he shouldn't be doing, instead of running away to hide, he crawls up into my arms bawling and rubs his face (hot tears streaming down his cheeks) all over mine - partly to silence me disciplining him and partly, in his own way, to apologize.

He will also come running right over to me and smother me with kisses if I am singing. You know, to shut me up. At least he is polite about it...

Friday afternoon was 103˚ with 80% humidity. Needless to say we swam all morning in a friend's pool to cool off, then spent the afternoon and evening watching our AC work it's butt off in the penthouse. (This is how hot it was - I actually dove into the 78˚ pool getting my hair wet!! Vanity lost to the heat wave!) By 4pm this is how bored my children were: I was in the living room reading a book and they were wrestling on my bed. Next thing I heard was, "Mwah! Mwah! Mwah!" which is the sound Ben makes when he kisses you. My crazy kids were wrestling and pinning each other then kissing each other! Hey, at least they like each other!

I love recognizing new words that Ben is using. This morning he was playing with his trains on the track and purposely smashing and derailing them. He would then make amends by saying, "Sorry!" and fixing them back to the track. He did this over and over!

On Thursday we exchanged our books and dvds at the library and escaped the heat by playing in the children's area for over an hour. They have a good collection of legos and puzzles as well as books and dvds. There were a few other families enjoying the free AC, too. At about noon I said to Emma, "Help me clean up, we gotta go and get some lunch." One of the Moms we were sitting next to said, "What are you going to eat for lunch, Emma?" She replied matter of factly, "Chocolate donuts and pizza." Really? I thought. As we checked the books out I thought to myself, Hmmm, pizza does sound kind of good right now. So we walked a block to main street where we had our choice of 3 pizza parlors to grab a slice from. We settled for the one with air conditioning and a sitting area. Well AC in a small pizza parlor with 3 ovens going strong is kind of pointless, but the pizza was YUM so, what's a little sweat? The kids enjoyed every last morsel of their pepperoni slice... At one point Emma had to pee but Ben was only mid point of the slice and covered in sauce and pepperoni grease. I left him sitting at the table chowing and took Em to the unisex restroom. I made her go in and do her business solo so I could stand at the door keeping one eye on Ben and the other on her just inside the door. We made it back to the table safely and I don't think Ben even realized we were gone. Hey, the only vegetable he eats is the sauce on pizza!

After our slice, we wandered around main street. There was a good - albeit HOT - breeze coming from the marina. The mom and pop toy store had their wind chimes and twirly whirly gizmos out and the kids stopped to play with them while I sweated all the pizza out. I am happy to say, pizza calories consumed on a day where the heat index is 115˚ simply do not count. Hooray!

No comments:

Post a Comment